Friday, August 29, 2008

Stardict, a free dictionary for Linux

Stardict is still the best free dictionary in the Internet for running in Linux.
At least that's my opinion.
Actually this is the second article about the same program, but the other article I posted for other Linux Distro, Fedora. Now I run this software in Ubuntu, and try to give better snapshots.



We can use more that one dictionary database, for example: Merrian Webster Dictionary, Longman Dictionary, etc. You can download the dictionary files from http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries_dictd-www.dict.org.php
The dictionary files should go here: /usr/share/stardict/dic

steps:
# cd /usr/share/stardict/dic
# tar -xjvf /data/packages/source/dict/stardict-longman-2.4.2.tar.bz2
# tar -xjvf /data/packages/source/dict/stardict-merrianwebster-2.4.2.tar.bz2

I have rearranged the order for dictionary to be used like this:



Other feature that you may interested is to let you learn the pronunciation.



You can enable scanning words







This is the result when I blocked a word when scanning is activated.



give me spelling suggestion like this

No comments: