Saturday, December 6, 2008

My VIM Settings

After doing some trials and errors, I found this setting match my needs to write text documentations.
For linux, I often create a documentation for myself to review settings, learn, and practice.

This is the content of my .vimrc


:syntax enable
:syntax on
:set cmdheight=2
:set tabstop=4
:set shiftwidth=4
:set noautoindent
:set nohlsearch
:filetype off

set ruler

source /usr/share/vim/vim71/mswin.vim
behave mswin

map <S-F7> :0,$d
map <S-F8> :set autoindent smartindent shiftwidth=4
map <S-F9> :syntax on

highlight Normal guibg=grey90
highlight Cursor guibg=Green guifg=NONE
highlight lCursor guibg=Cyan guifg=NONE
highlight NonText guibg=grey80
highlight Constant gui=NONE guibg=grey95
highlight Special gui=NONE guibg=grey95

set nobackup
set nowritebackup

function L1()
execute "normal I-----------------------------------------------------------------------\o"
endfunction

function L2()
execute "normal I=======================================================================\o"
endfunction

function L3()
execute "normal I#######################################################################\o"
endfunction

function L8()
execute "normal I***********************************************************************\o"
endfunction

function Clear()
execute ":0,$d"
endfunction




:filetype off
Because when I create text documentations, sometimes I just copy-paste some text such as command-line I used in doing something, including some '#' marks in the beginning of the line. Then VIM will automatically add # for the next lines. That behavior is often not what I expected.
Maybe that's good for programming language to have a text editor that automatically guess your needs. But not for text documentations.
For me, it's something I hate when create text documentations.
Do you have any idea to share? I just do not want the VIM to insert '#' automatically.

source /usr/share/vim/vim71/mswin.vim
I used this option because I also often use Windows and get used to with Windows text editor's behaviors. If you used my VIM's settings, you should adjust the version to match your VIM version.

No comments: