Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ubuntu 3D Desktop
How to Enable

First, I should have a supported graphics adapter. If not, I can still have some effects, but not as good as shown in my previous post.
In this case, I have an NVIDIA.
I install the driver by selecting menu System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers



Then click the check box to enable NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver.



Click the Enable button. It will download the necessary drivers from the Internet and ask to restart after installation completed.







Use the Synaptic Package Manager, I can install the necessary packages easily.



Just use search, type "compiz".
I did right-click on 'compizconfig-settings-manager', select 'Mark for Installation'. I did the same for emerald package. Then click Apply to start downloading and installing the packages.





After package installation completed, go to System, Preferences, Advanced Desktop Effects Settings.



Here are the many desktop effects you may set. I don't think that I will ever try all of these effects:









I also use Emerald Theme Manager to set another effects.





As you see in the previous post, I have tried some interesting desktop effects. Check out this link:
http://danielr-ubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/08/ubuntu-3d-with-compiz.html

No comments: